Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The haunted carpenter's bench...

... has been moved back out to the deck. Not because it was haunted, (see this post)...


... but because it really belongs outside.


It's quite happy to be back among the clay pots and summer blooms...


I love old wood, and clearly this old bench has weathered many a storm and many summers of blazing sunshine... But now it's like an old work horse who has been put out to pature to enjoy its remaining years. No longer is it being used for heavy work. Its purpose now is to provide the perfect spot for flowers to bloom and garden tools to be stored...


All my little garden essentials fit nicely into this old crate on the bottom shelf....


... which is then covered by yet another old crate. Hidden away, but oh-so-handy when I need them.


Dad wanted me to say THANK YOU to all of you who left him such lovely comments!! I took this photo of him this morning as we were heading out to run errands before the thunderstorms moved in. He is holding onto a branch that he named "Harvey." We only have a one-step front stoop, so there are no railings. Dad always grabs this branch for support when stepping down onto the pathway. So this weekend when we trimmed back the shrubs a bit, we made sure to leave "Harvey" intact. When not in use, Harvey just gets tucked into the shrub. Dad was very glad to see that his friend survived the hedge trimmer!
Note: It's now several hours later and the storms are moving in! Wishing you a wonderful day filled with sunshine or rain, whatever your heart desires!
Donna

13 comments:

mary pernula said...

Love the bench, and your dad is a cutie. XO MARY

Anonymous said...

When I see your Dad it make my heart skip a beat. My Dad looked very much like him or maybe I am just "seeing" it.
I lost my Dad in 05' & miss him so much. Give your Dad a kiss on the cheek for me.
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Southern Lady said...

Your dad looks like a sweet man. I am glad to see him out and about. I'm sure he is glad to have Harvey still with him. Carla

Diva Kreszl said...

I too love old woood and your bench is perfect! tell you Dad he is just such a handsome man and we enjoy hearing about him on your posts :)

Joanne Kennedy said...

I love that picture of your dad. I was so happy to get to see a picture of him. He looks like he is a kind and wonderful man.

Love your haunted bench :)

Hugs,
Joanne

Elaine said...

He looks so sweet. And he has a sense of humor too!

Hope your animals didn't mind the thunderstorms too much.

Susan said...

Oh, Donna, you are so lucky to have your Dad. I'm sure he loves visiting you. He's a sweetie, that's for sure. Take care. Susan

Donna said...

God bless you dad for his service to our great country! Loved the story about Harvey, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Thank your dad for being a WWII hero for us. He's wonderful. Lovin that bench!

petals and vintage said...

Love your bench and your Dad looks gorgeous.
Pam

Ro said...

I gave you a blog award today! You can read about it here:

http://softwindsandroses.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-award.html

Happy blogging! :)

The Old Parsonage said...

Love that your Dad named "Harvey."

And the bench? ahhhh love it!

Enjoy your night!
Leann

Rosie said...

So nice you have your Dad around! Love him lots! Harvey's doing a great job.
rosie